RSS

Irritated Gerbils Here Tonight!

17 Apr
Bach and Smurf in a split tank

Bach and Smurf in a split tank

We have a couple of unhappy gerbils here tonight. Bach and Smurf moved into a split tank together this evening, and as expected, they are less than thrilled with each others’ presence. :-D

At first, they were each happy to explore their new surroundings… Then they noticed each other…

They both met at the divider. Smurf started stomping his feet madly, and Bach puffed up to about three times his normal size. (I had no idea that little Bach could look so large!)

The boys have settled down some now. They’re both chewing on toilet paper tubes and mostly ignoring each other.

Wish us luck. It would be great if we could get these two boys together since they both lost their tankmates earlier this year. I think they’d make an adorable pair, too. Now we cross our fingers and hope that their personalities don’t clash and that we can have a successful split-cage introduction in a couple weeks!

Spam Protection by WP-SpamFree

1. Linette

April 18, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Hope the boys are getting along better and they are friends soon :)

• admin

April 19, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Thanks, Linette. . .

It’s still rough going. Bach’s still awfully wound up. We’ve made some progress, in that he doesn’t violently attack the divider non-stop anymore. But he still does it quite a bit. Smurf is doing better in the split, but Bach’s high-strung behavior seems to have Smurf a little jumpy as well.

We’ll see what the next couple of weeks bring. They’ve been in a split for two days now… So still too soon to tell… It’s just a lot more gerbil drama than I’m used to!

• Linette

April 20, 2010 at 8:42 pm

“gerbil drama” lol that too funny. But seriously hope things are progressing. Im having a hard time picturing cute little Bach as the big tuff gerbil :)

Sometimes Stuart and Biscuit get in a quarrel and Im surprised how Stuart holds his own. Stuart is smaller and has that bag leg but holds his ground. I usually intervene before I have my own gerbil drama.

• admin

April 22, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Yeah, Bach is so little and petite, but boy, can he get worked up when he feels territorial or threatened!

He’s mellowed out some in the past few days, but he’s still pretty high-strung about the situation. I think this will be at least a three-week split.

Isn’t it incredible how a gerbil like Stuart can start at a disadvantage (with the bad leg) but still do a splendid job fending for themselves? :)

2. Diane

April 21, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Are the boys coming to the show? I would love to see Smurf again.

• admin

April 22, 2010 at 6:04 pm

No, Diane. I can’t make it to the show this year. I can’t make that long of a drive by myself, and I didn’t have anyone else I could travel with at the end of April. :(

I’m going to miss seeing everyone, and I know Smurf will miss coming to the show, too!

Have fun at the show next weekend!

• Linette

April 24, 2010 at 10:26 pm

to bad we dont live closer to each other-I would go

• admin

May 1, 2010 at 10:18 am

Ack! I wish we’d thought of this sooner! We could have figured out a way to meet around Des Moines or somewhere, I bet! It seems so weird not to be at the show today!

3. Libby

April 22, 2010 at 9:27 am

C’mon Bach and Smurf, you can do it!
    Smurf’s older sister Blue Without You is meeting some new friends this week, too. Go blues!

• admin

April 22, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Smurf’s doing beautifully with the split-caging. He’s calmed down quite a bit. Bach is still exceptionally aggressive, though. Please keep your fingers crossed, because I really want to see Smurf paired up again. He was such a wonderful friend and tankmate to Gobo!

Let me know how Blue Without You does, too! :)

4. Valeria

April 23, 2010 at 6:35 pm

well…then good luck! ;)

5. Lydia

April 24, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Oh my! I had 2 boy gerbils – Gobi and I.J., and when I.J. died (both of them were 6 months at the time), we bought another little boy gerbil. They only had to have 3 hours of split-caging and they got along so well!

I hope Bach and Smurf are getting along better now!

• admin

April 24, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Oh, I’m so happy that Gobi and his new tankmate had such an easy introduction! :)

Male gerbils are usually very accepting of younger gerbils. My problem is probably that Bach is seven months old and Smurf is a little over a year old.

Things are going better with the boys, but it’s going to be a long road with the two of them, I think. If this doesn’t work, I may be able to get Smurf paired up with someone in the future, because it’s Bach who’s not handling the split well.

I could even try Smurf with Toby… I’m hoping this pairing works, though, because Smurf and Bach are the two who weren’t happy alone, whereas Toby’s been doing really well since his brother died (no change in personality or behavior at all).

Keep your fingers crossed for Smurf and Bach. Thanks! :)

• Hamza

April 25, 2010 at 11:59 am

Oh, how do you do that.
        I had 2 sets of gerbils, 2 and 2 (coco and conca) and the other (snowbell and blacky)

Blacky died, snowbells alone, we have already tried to let them out together, before blacky died, they never came together, now i am really worried about snowbell, plesae can anyone help me??????!!!!!!!

have already got 2 gerbilariums, how could i make that into a split cage.

6. Lydia

April 28, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Glad they’re getting along a bit better!